I can't remember where I stumbled across this recipe, but it caught my eye immediately. Pad Thai is one of my favorite dishes to order when I'm out. I love the combination of the sweet peanut flavor with the fresh taste of cilantro, along with the egg and tofu. Yes Mom, there is tofu in this. When extra firm and sautéed until lightly browned, tofu is amazing! You could substitute chicken, though, if you would like. Mia-do not eat this. I'm not handy with an EpiPen and my CPR skills nowadays! ;-). Made with spaghetti squash, Pad Thai becomes a healthier alternative to regular rice or egg noodles.
I did tweak the recipe some when I made it the second time. In fact, I don't think the recipe called for any peanut butter in the sauce. I added it both times, because I love it. Some of the pictures don't show cilantro, because I forgot to buy it the first go around. Yup, I was too hungry and lazy to go back to the store and get it. I really talked this one up, so I hope it delivers! Here's how you make it:
- Contents of one large spaghetti squash, cooked, scraped out, and ready to go.
- 1.5 TBSP rice vinegar (gluten free)
- 1.5 TBSP fish sauce (gluten free)
- Juice from one lime (at least 2 TBSP, preferably a little more)
- 1 TBSP water
- 2 TBSP all natural peanut butter
- 2 packets Stevia (use the equivalent of sugar or agave if you prefer)
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper minced
- Drizzle of walnut oil or EVOO to sauté with
- One package (14oz) extra firm tofu cut into 1/4 inch cubes
- 3 cups shredded green cabbage (I bought a bag pre shredded and it was so easy!)
- Two eggs + 4 egg whites beaten
- Chopped peanuts
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped fresh cilantro
You will need a small sauce pot and a large skillet. Combine rice vinegar, fish sauce, lime, water, peanut butter, Stevia, and jalapeño in small sauce pot on medium heat, and stir well until uniform. Lower heat to just keep it warm, and stir every few minutes. Sauce will thicken up.
Heat up oil in skillet on medium-high, then add tofu. Sauté tofu until browned on all sides (do the the best you can without burning it.)
Tofu will go from looking like this:
Then, add egg mixture, let sit for 30 seconds, and break egg apart with a wooden spoon or spatula while cooking until just done. Add spaghetti squash and sauce, then stir until completely incorporated. Sprinkle with cilantro.
The jalapeño adds a nice little kick. If you are really sensitive to spicy food, you can omit the jalapeño. I love the kick with the sweet sauce. SO yummy!!
I really hope you guys enjoy this as much as I did!! Leave a comment below and let me know how yours turned out!
Recipe adapted from Fitness Magazine