Ever since my makeup bag bit the dust on the way to Cabo, I've been trying hard to use more of the cosmetics I already have since there is so much to replace. I realized that a huge reason why I don't use half of my palettes is because they're hidden away in drawers, out of sight, out of mind. Y'all know that I'm usually in a bit of a hurry in the morning when I'm trying to get ready and get out the door. (Haha! That's the understatement of the the year!) I tend to just grab what's already out, and vere toward the same palettes all the time. I decided that I really wanted to change up my makeup station and storage situation.
I visited a lot of different blogs and YouTube channels, and found examples that I really liked. I really wanted a dressing room style vanity mirror with lights all around it. I found one that can be ordered online, and it was $399!! I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much money on a mirror, albeit an amazingly cool one! I went to Ikea to check out some of the items I was considering buying, and came across strips of 5 lights each that were arranged into the exact kind of setup I was looking for! The only problem is they were wired to be installed to a wall, not to be plugged in.
I spoke to a fellow customer who explained how I could wire them together and attach them to a wire with a plug so I could just plug the whole thing into a wall outlet that connected to a light switch. I figured with the help of my Dad, who is an electrical engineer, the guy at ACE, and my stubborn, determined mind, I could figure it out and have what I want for a fraction of the price!
I ended up getting everything I needed, desk, drawer unit, and shelving unit included for less than the price of the makeup mirror I found online. The day I got everything from Ikea, I assembled the desk, drawers, and shelving unit. I used my drill/electric screwdriver from Black and Decker with a phillip's head bit and an Allen wrench bit, and I bet you it took me 1/4 of the time it would've taken me without it.
So to simply explain how I did it, I wired one light strip to another, and then that one to the third.
Then, I wired the last one to a wire with a plug attached, and plugged it into the wall outlet. When mounting the lights to the wall, I had to tie strap the wires together in multiple places to keep them hidden behind the strips. That was the hardest part!
In the meantime, I got to enjoy the first haboob (AZ term for dust storm) and thunderstorm of the season!
I can't take credit for the photo, I got it off of a friend's Facebook page. I was actually face timing with my Dad when the haboob hit, and I got to show him and my Mom what it looked like! Super cool and crazy perfect timing!
This is what I looked like after I was done. Completely and utterly exhausted, and so proud that I finished it and it turned out so great!
The lights ended up being SO bright!! Unfortunately the LED lights are not able to be used with a dimmer, so I've had to get used to it. It's not as bad as what I thought it was at first. It's great lighting! I just wish the mirror was a little closer. I still have to use a smaller mirror for detailed stuff like eyeliner and false lash application.
Here's the first time I did my makeup at my new station. The before:
And the after:
So my project was a success!! My Dad helped me so so so much! Thank you Dad for your guidance, and for giving me an A++ on the finished product!
Now getting ready is even more fun! And it takes even longer….just what I needed! Haha! It's just so easy to get sucked in and spend way too much time being creative! The more I practice, the better I'll get and the faster I'll be. That's my outlook and I'm sticking to it :-).
I hope you enjoyed this post, and maybe got some inspiration to do your own DIY home improvement project!!